Workers' Compensation Insurance

Workers' Compensation Insurance  


By purchasing your required Workers’ Compensation insurance policy through AMBA, funds are provided to help the Legal Services Trust Fund build a better justice system.


At times like these, it is important to be protected by the strength of your association. The State Bar in partnership with CalBar Connect's Oversight Committee, composed of California lawyers, provides program oversight by regularly reviewing many aspects of the program. This helps provide protection during times of increasing workers’ compensation rates by providing stability as rate changes are reviewed. A long-term strategy is managed by Cal Bar Connect.


Through your participation, funds are also provided to help the Legal Services Trust Fund build a better justice system. Fill out a premium indication request form to see how we can help you and you can help the Legal Services Trust Fund. Or, for immediate assistance, please call an AMBA Client Advisor at 1-877-446-7492.


*Sponsorship fees received by the State Bar of California from this and other insurance and licensed attorney benefit programs provide major funding to the Legal Services Trust Fund, supporting legal services organizations throughout California.

Premium Indication


Answers about the plan, including eligibility, options, enrollment, customer service and more.
  • Do I Need To Have Workers' Compensation Insurance?

    All California employers must provide Workers’ Compensation benefits to their employees under California Labor Code Section 3700. If a business employs one or more employees, then it must satisfy the requirement of the law.

  • Why Is Workers' Compensation Coverage Important For My Firm?

    Workers’ Compensation insurance protects employers from liability for on-the-job injuries resulting in employee disability or death. Workers’ Compensation insurance is considered the exclusive remedy for injured employees. What this means is that an employer assumes absolute liability for all workers' injuries and the Workers’ Compensation benefits are the remedy and sole source of funds for the injured workers. An injured employee covered under Workers’ Compensation cannot sue his/her employer for damages.

  • What Happens If I'm Uninsured And An Employee Is Injured?

    Failing to have Workers' Compensation coverage is a criminal offense. Section 3700.5 of the California Labor Code makes it a misdemeanor punishable by either a fine of up to $10,000 or imprisonment in the county jail for up to one year, or both. Additionally, the state issues penalties of up to $100,000 against illegally uninsured employers.


    If an employee gets hurt or sick because of work and you are not insured, you are responsible for paying all bills related to the injury or illness. You should be aware that Workers’ Compensation benefits are the only exclusive remedy for injuries suffered on the job when you are properly insured. If you are illegally uninsured and an employee gets sick or hurt because of work, that employee can file a civil action against you in addition to filing a Workers’ Compensation claim.

  • Am I Required To Provide Coverage For Myself?

    Although some attorneys want Workers’ Compensation insurance coverage for themselves, many elect to opt out. Depending on your status, you may need to opt in to receive coverage. Sole-proprietors are generally not covered by Workers’ Compensation insurance. The inclusion of a sole-proprietor must be clearly stated in the policy or must be added as a coverage endorsement to the policy.

  • Are Executive Officers Or Directors Of The Company Covered Under Its Workers' Compensation Policy?

    Generally, all employees of the company, as legally defined, including corporate officers and directors, must be included in the policy unless they are the sole owners of the firm. In the case of sole owners, they may elect not to be covered. Several sections of the California Labor Code must be considered to answer this question. You should consult with your attorney, insurance agent or broker, or your carrier regarding the specifics of your situation.

Contact Us

We're here to help! Please contact us in whatever manner is most convenient for you.

4050 114th Street
Urbandale, Iowa 50322
[email protected]


Application Mailing Address

The State Bar of California
Insurance Program
PO Box No 14555
Des Moines, IA 50306
AMBA's Role And Compensation